What are the last 5 Books you've read?

I just finished the latest Guy Gavriel Kay book - All The Seas Of The World.

It's set in the same fictional universe as several of his past works of fantasy - the time and place of the Byzantine Empire, but an alternate world with slightly different geography and two moons. You'll recognize countries and cities and religions. If you've enjoyed Sailing To Sarantium or other books set in this universe, you'll be happy with this effort.

There are many characters and the books switches at times from the third-person omniscient POV to first person, and the first person POV varies from character to character. But it's not confusing, this switching is deftly handled by Kay.

And there's an obvious plot detail that's left unresolved, so I think there's at least one more book to come with some of the same characters from this work.

Kay and Brandon Sanderson are two of the most accomplished fantasy writers active today. However, if you haven't read anything by Kay, you probably don't want to start with this one; I suggest The Lions Of Al-Rassan as a good entry point.
Just Changed my Sig to Yeats' Sailing to Byzantium in tribute to your sailing to Sarantium.. One of Yeats greatest works.

Love this thread.

I just found a great translation of Dante's Inferno, The Indiana Critical Edition. Link at the end.

This translation has a collection of critical essays at the end by Dante scholars which I have found captivating. The actual translation of the poem is by Mark Musa who does a great job. At the start, he breaks down the overall theme of each Canto in a single paragraph which is just awesome. I really enjoyed being able to read through it quickly and still get the jist of each Canto. It helped me to get a better feel of the movement of the piece.

View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0253209307/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Back