Inside the Meat Grinder - Chad Brown & Alan Eisenstock

Tales from the Patriots Sidelines - Michael Felger

When All the Laughter Died in Sorrow - Lance Rentzel

Referee Magazines - January thru June editions

2005 NCAA Football Rulebook

on deck -

Patriot Reign, Management Secrets of the NEP and Football Physics

Patti37 said:
Triathalon 101 (I am doing my first triathalon in Sept. and I need as much prep as possible.)
just wondering how the training is going, I've been to a couple the last month and wish you luck.

My wife did the Danskin in webster MA and one this past weekend in Barrington RI, both were sprint tri's 0.5 swim,12 bike and 3 mi run. she used to do them prior to kids and is just getting back into it.

again good luck!!! the swim is easier than you think

Ok, 5 more to add to the list:

1. Puttin' on ole massa;: The slave narratives of Henry Bibb, William Wells Brown, and Solomon Northup: Absolutely riveting first hand accounts of slavery in the mid 1800's told from the slave's point of view. An eye opening and very entertaining look into a subject that few white folks are probably comfortable with. Highly recommended.

2. The Inferno by Dante Alighieri. An old classic and good read of one man's travels through hell.

3. Come Out Tonight by Richard Laymon. A guilty pleasure - pretty bloody.

4. Goya by Fred Licht. The life and paintings of Spanish painter Francisco Goya. While not entirely comprehensive, gives the reader a nice overview of Goya and his work.

5. Moneymaker : How an Amateur Poker Player Turned $40 into $2.5 Million at the World Series of Poker - by Chris Moneymaker. Entertaining, but not entirely engrossing story of Chris Moneymaker's rise to fame during the World Series of Poker. A troubled gambling man plays an aggressive game and comes out on top. Wait for the paperback.

My Five latest in no real order.

Patriot Reign by Michael Holley
Management Secrets of the N.E. Patriots ~ James Lavin (I'm still in the middle of this somewhere)
Jennifer Government by Max Barry
Syrup by Max Barry
If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell

Flagg Wanderer said:

Cryptonomicon - Neil Stephenson

Cryptonomicon was absolutely fantastic. A book I could not put down. I can't wait to read more of his stuff. Quirky writing style, but great plot and a lot of fun.

Flagg have you read anything else by Stephenson? I enjoyed about 1/2 of Cryptonomicon when I read it about 6, 7 years ago? Don't know I was still in the Army.

I really enjoyed everything he wrote previous, and I really have to try reading Crypto again before I tackle The Baroque Cycle series of books.

on another tangent, another author I really like is Tim Dorsey really funny, strange, books that take place in Florida.

Do comic books count? :D

Seriously though...

The more than complete Hitchhiker's Guide...Douglas Adams {1987 leatherbound edition which on the spine lists the books thusly...The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe...The Restaurant at the End of the Galaxy....the other three are listed correctly}

The Necroscope series by Brian Lumley

Days of Darkness The Gettysburg Civilians by William G. Williams

The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings Trilogy {for the one hundredth and eleventieth first time}

1. Gettysburg, Day Three Jeffery D. Wert

2. The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

3. Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

4. Deception Point - Dan Brown

5. Digital Fortress - Dan Brown (ok so Da Vinci code hooked me)

Also read the last Star Wars Episode 3, The Hitchhikers Guide (although i think i would have enjoyed it more if i was on something)

with the new son i cant make it to the movies but the books are usually better anyways

Angels & Demons (far superior to The DaVinci Code)

The Great Mortality (about the Black Death)

Holy War (about the Crusades)

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Price (What about it)

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (Highly reccomended)

Angels and Demons - Dan Brown (DUH)

Tell No One - Harlan Coben

Velocity - Dean Koontz

Generation Kill - Evan Wright

Memorial Day - Vince Flynn

On Deck:
Deception Point - Dan Brown
Thunder Run - Zuchinno
Cold Zero - Chris Whitcomb
Transfer of Power - Vince Flynn
etc.........

P.S. I also think Angels and Demons was better than Davinci Code.

I don't know what it is with me and science fiction. I gave up on the book I was reading because it didn't hold my attention; then I picked up Nightfall by Isaac Asimov and some other guy, which was an expansion of a "classic" Asimov story about a planet with four suns where the people have never experienced darkness (there is sunlight 24 hours a day between the four suns) and then some scientists realize the suns are going to set and everyone will freak out.

But it's not holding my attention either, and if it doesn't pick up soon I guess I'll go to an extreme and jump right to Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles .

The last sci-fi novel I read all the way through was Phillip K. Dick's excellent excellent excellent Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? which was, of course, the inspiration for the movie Blade Runner. Since then I just can't find one that can hold my attention.

Flagg Wanderer said:
Cryptonomicon - Neil Stephenson

Cryptonomicon was absolutely fantastic. A book I could not put down. I can't wait to read more of his stuff. Quirky writing style, but great plot and a lot of fun.
If you liked Cryptonomicon, then you'll probably also enjoy Snow Crash (featuring the aptly named Hiero Protagonist).

For those looking for science fiction, try Dan Simmons' excellent Hyperion series:

Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion
Endymion
The Rise of Endymion

My most recent five:

Illium - Dan Simmons

Shadow Puppets - Orson Scott Card

Newton's Wake - Ken McLeod

Byzantium - Stephen Lawhead

Blink - Malcolm Gladwell

The first four are sf/fantasy. The last is non-fiction, and is about how very often people are able to make correct decisions about complex situations in just one or two seconds, usually by going with their gut feelings. It's short (250 pp), and I read it in just a couple of hours. Some of the areas touched on: art forgery, marriage, heart attacks, racism, and Coke vs. Pepsi.

TipRoast said:
If you liked Cryptonomicon, then you'll probably also enjoy Snow Crash (featuring the aptly named Hiero Protagonist).

For those looking for science fiction, try Dan Simmons' excellent Hyperion series:

Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion
Endymion
The Rise of Endymion

Snow Crash was great, as was Zodiac, I really, really enjoyed "The Big U". Diamond Age was good, I just didn't like it as much as the other three.

Dan Simmons? I'll have to look into him, but I really have enough to read, The Baroque Cycle trilogy is going to take a while to get threw.

headcase said:
Snow Crash was great, as was Zodiac, I really, really enjoyed "The Big U". Diamond Age was good, I just didn't like it as much as the other three.

Dan Simmons? I'll have to look into him, but I really have enough to read, The Baroque Cycle trilogy is going to take a while to get threw.
I started Quicksilver but put it down after about 70 pages or so - it didn't hold my interest. I have since been told to hang in there for the first 100+ pages - it gets a lot better.

I just saw The Big U at a bookstore the other day - I had been under the impression that Zodiac was Stephenson's first book. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll pick it up sometime soon.

TipRoast said:
I started Quicksilver but put it down after about 70 pages or so - it didn't hold my interest. I have since been told to hang in there for the first 100+ pages - it gets a lot better.

I just saw The Big U at a bookstore the other day - I had been under the impression that Zodiac was Stephenson's first book. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll pick it up sometime soon.

The Big U was pretty hard to find for a while. Stephenson got big after Snow Crash, and then really big after Crypto. Big U is good, if not diffent. It is more like Zodiac than Snow Crash, but with a College, instead of environmental, twist.

Okay... After reading all the positive reviews of Angels & Demons I went out Tuesday and bought it.

I finished it last night and agree, it is a very good read, even if somewhat predictable.

But I recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it. Moves quickly, good characters, good writing.

I give it a :thumb:

Back